Saltoun Hall began life, in the 12th century, as a tower or castle and, at that time, was in the hands of the powerful De Morville family. By 1260, Sir William Abernethy owned the lands and castle at Saltoun and it was to his family the title, Lord Salton was conferred, to Sir Lawrence Abernethy of Saltoun. The Abernethys were owners at Saltoun for nearly 400 years but in 1643, the estates were bought by Sir Andrew Fletcher, Lord Innerpeffer on whose family the land still belongs. There were obviously many extensions, changes and renewals at the castle but there are no records of that until the days of the Fletcher family.
In 1769, Lord Fletcher added a new wing on the south side of the building, A separate extension was built for the library in 1779. This created an ‘L’ shaped house and a ‘great stair’ was built in the angle of the ‘L’. In 1803, Robert Burn, an eminent Scottish architect, built new turrets on the corners giving the ‘new’ house a castellated appearance. His son, William burn, another famed architect, put his father’s work firmly in the shade when, in 1817, he completely transformed the building on a large scale giving what was described as a ‘bleak magnificence’. A large square turret was added. The inside gives a wonderful Gothic Revival architecture look and is rib vaulted throughout. A new corridor was built to provide a Gothic gallery and rooms were recast in a calm Grecian style. The house was sold in the late 1960′s and subdivided in to quality apartments. The Fletcher’s sold the building and some of the estate but the family still live nearby. Today’s house owes much to the architectural style of William Burn. The house is said to be haunted by a ‘grey lady’.
The history of this building is very extensive the architectural details unique and it is a pleasure for our company to be working in a building such as this. Our aim was to preserve these magnificent windows and bring them up to a standard that will allow are clients the peace of mind that they would last for hundreds of more years. The windows were in a very poor condition. On our initial inspection this assessment was made by one of our surveyors. Although the windows were in a poor condition, it was our believe that we could salvage them all with the exception of one lower sash. We intended to replicate this in the workshop.
Our main problem was the original glass which was paper thin, Some panes in the nursery had children’s graffiti scratched into them from the mid 19th century. Our clients were hoping to retain the glass. Whilst working on windows such as these our joiners have to take extreme care , you can literally sneeze and crack the glass. we cannot guarantee that we will not have to replace sections when working but we do our best not to. Fortunately in this case we managed to save the original glass.
Our site joiners carried out there usual tasks. Replacing pulley wheels,ironmongery, areas of rot were cut out, and where necessary glass replaced. The fully functional windows were now ready for painting. The end result was 250 year old windows that look new. All the architectural details on the windows have been left intact and the lower sash that was originally surveyed for replacement had extensive repairs instead.[nggallery id=10]